Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Getting Started on the Quilt

I'm not sure if my machine had some files deleted by the original owner, because the tutorial didn't quite match up with the directions. I figured something out, though, and it looks enough like what I can see in the picture that I'll take it.

Today's step was to create some files using "normal" sewing stitches and making a simple straight line down the center of some small pieces near the center. I used the biggest hoop for that, which is a bit of a tight fit in the hallway where this machine lives, but actually worked out fine. I have a nice workstation that we had purchased this past winter, and it rolls in and out of its tight space when I need it to do so.

Here's the fabric after I embroidered it. I'm not sure why it's so pale in this picture:
The lines of embroidery are toward the right, with blank pieces to be cut out from the left, as is shown below:
It wasn't just the quilt today. I also worked on the slacks for oldest. She didn't like the cut, so I spent the rest of the day trying to find a daughter to fit them on. Child 4 worked out. I still have to do a lot of finishing on them, but at least someone will at least get the use of this, and my fabric stash is shrinking ever so slightly. They're a nice pair of slacks. I may make some for myself, while looking for a pattern oldest will want to wear. She's pretty short, so she really likes a dropped waist. I had thought this pattern did that, but I was mistaken.

Finally, I took on a project that's been sitting around waiting for a clue for a few months. My mother in law crochets tops for kitchen towels and sells them at craft sales. She found some really nice Christmas ones, except the top half is just this really elegant script, of which you can maybe pick out one word per line. She figured I would find something to do with them, and today the clue brick hit me.


Having an awesome embroidery machine, I decided to do some experimenting.

 
The tree and diamond are machine-included files, but the flourish of stars is actually from Amazing Designs Opulent Angels disk. I assembled that from two smaller designs, which is something that took a little manipulation on the edit screen. I have to admit I'm more proud of that than I really need to be, given how easy it ends up being. The towels were a little on the short side of things, so I added some pregathered lace I had lying around, and sometime I'll give the towels back to my mother in law. She usually tends to stay away from this sort of towel because people want to be able to dry their hands, but a few here and there that are primarily ornamental might not be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment