For the 9yo, I had a piece of a knit print that had somehow worked its way from my mom's stash to mine. When we outfitted an 18" doll for this child for her birthday, I had made some jeans and a tee shirt using this knit. For the 5yo, I had a piece of gauze left over from the 12yo's Easter dress. I've made at least two or three outfits for dolls out of this fabric, and there's still gracious plenty left.
I selected a smock-sort of top to make, but there really wasn't enough of the knit, and the pattern is intended for stretch knits only. The solution to both problems involved a bit of piecing. Before I cut out the gauze, I made a panel with a zipper in it to put in the top of the back. On the knit, I added in a piece of a pique knit I think I got from my mom's stash, too.
The finished outfits are cute. I got rid of that knit fabric and reduced the amount of hot pink and denim I have, but that gauze is going to have to go into the stash for another day. I'm just tired of it. When I made the jeans for the doll, I used a decorative stitch around the hem to tie the top and bottom together. I did the same thing with 9yo's capri's, here, except my new machine has what are called maxi stitches, which give her a wider band of stitching on the bottom, keeping things more in proportion.
This block combines three patterns into one. What's fascinating about the three patterns is that they're identical shapes of leaves and tulips. The difference is in how close the leaves are to each other compared to how the tulips nestle in. Plus the colors are reversed in the top tulips.



No comments:
Post a Comment